We Didn’t Win, But We Learned

Featured image by Teri Di-Lauro

The Calgary Inferno came to town, and were the first team to take two points in regulation at the Thornhill Community Centre since the Thunder moved here. As the quote on the wall in our locker room says: We never lose. We win or we learn. This weekend we learned.

Game One

The game opened with Erica Howe and Alex Rigsby guarding their nets. Just 34 seconds in, Brianne Jenner took a cross-checking penalty. Markham’s power play went to work, with Jenna McParland receiving the puck from the point, passing cross-ice to Jamie Lee Rattray, and Jess Jones sent the rebound home to open the scoring.

Jones had another great chance on the Calgary net, and Forfar and Rattray would almost connect. The Inferno were able to tie it up a few minutes later off the stick of Jenner, assisted by Rebecca Leslie and Kelty Apperson. As the period wound down, Jenner potted her second of the night with assists going to Leslie and Brigette Lacquette. Calgary would take the 2-1 lead into the intermission.

There would be no scoring in the second period, but there was plenty of action for the penalty boxes. Apperson took a tripping penalty, Calgary’s only infraction of the frame. Becca King would follow next for the Thunder after a hooking call. After killing off the two minutes, Jocelyne Larocque, Jones and Victoria Bach all took good shots on Rigsby. Laura Fortino was next to Markham’s box for roughing, and Megan Bozek sat for body-checking, a penalty that would carry over into the first minute of the third.

Markham successfully killed off the remainder of the Bozek penalty. Brooke Webster and Ailish Forfar went flying to the net, but couldn’t get the puck in behind Rigsby. Leslie was called for hooking, and five second later Halli Krzyzaniak shot the puck over the glass giving the Thunder a 5-on-3 opportunity. The first power play unit saw good scoring chances from Fortino and Bach, the second unit featured a blast from Bozek that shattered an Inferno’s stick. Unfortunately, Calgary returned to full strength and Zoe Hickel gave them the 3-1 lead with helpers going to Brianna Decker and Rebecca Johnston. With the extra attacker on in the dying minutes of the game, the Thunder came close to getting on the board, but time expired.

Game Two

Liz Knox took over the net for Markham, and Rigsby returned to to guard the net for Calgary. Bach kicked things off by almost tucking the puck past Rigsby on a wrap-around, but it was McParland who would open the scoring after tipping in a pass from Fortino.

Five minutes later, the Inferno tied it up off the stick of Leslie. Taylor Woods and Larocque went speeding down the ice, working hard to try and get the lead back. As the period wound down, Bach received the puck from Larocque and went flying into the offensive zone. She drove the net and backhanded the puck into the net!

Yet, once again, the Inferno would tie it up thanks to Johnston with assists to Decker and Z. Hickel.

The second period would open with the tie, but it would not last long as Decker got one past Knox after she had made a huge save earlier in the play. In the process, Decker ended up on top of Knox, and she was looked at by the Athletic Therapist before play returned. Leslie then took back to back hooking penalties, but Markham was unable to capitalize on the advantages, even though there were some close calls. Leslie from Jenner and Eden Murray, and Jenner from Apperson widened Calgary’s lead to 5-2.

Howe began the third period in net for the Thunder, and she saw lots of action early as Ella Matteucci sat for tripping. Luckily, she returned to the ice without Calgary scoring a goal. Fortino pinched in low trying to get a goal against Rigsby, but she was pushed down to the ice. Katelyn Gosling widened the Inferno lead after a turnover with assists to Johnston and Z. Hickel. A couple minutes later, Decker scored her second of the afternoon assisted by Gosling and Kacey Bellamy. Lacquette went to the box for hooking, and Jones made a great defensive play on Jenner to keep her from going on a break down the ice. The game ended with a final score of 7-2 for Calgary.