Thunder Take a Point from Furies

Feature photo by Teri Di-Lauro

With the Rivalry Series in action, six members of the Thunder and four members of the Furies were absent from this series. The Thunder called up Ellie Seedhouse for both games, Danielle Skirrow for Saturday, and Laura McIntosh for Sunday.

Game One

The home and home series began late Saturday afternoon in Etobicoke when Erica Howe and Shea Tiley took to their respective nets. Howe was busy early, making a spectacular glove save on Carolyne Prevost and then keeping the puck out as Markham went on the penalty kill as Becca King sat for hooking. The teams exchanged chances, but the period would end without a score.

A few minutes into the second frame, Jess Jones tipped a Gina Repaci shot, notching her 100th CWHL career point. The assist was Repaci’s first point in the league, and the secondary assist went to Kristen Barbara. Alexis Woloschuk was called for tripping, but her teammates kill the minor. After emerging from the box, she went on a tear with Nicole Brown and Jones recording a good scoring chance on Tiley. Markham killed off another minor penalty when Kristen Richards was cited for cross-checking. Unfortunately, not long after returning to full strength, Prevost would tie the game with assists going to Shannon Stewart and Shiann Darkangelo. Toronto’s first penalty of the game came when Jenna Dingeldein was called for slashing. After Brown just missed the net, the puck went back into the Thunder’s zone and after some miscommunication, it was turned over and Darkangelo capitalized with helpers from Prevost and Sena Suzuki.

Richards went to the box early in the third period once again for cross-checking. A few minutes after she returned to the ice, Brown passed the puck up to Richards who tied the game at 2-2. Both goaltenders held their forts and we headed to overtime.

In the extra frame, Howe flashed the leather on Emily Fulton to push the game to a shootout. Toronto’s Darkangelo would get the puck past Howe, but she would save against Julie Allen, while the Thunder shooters Jones, Nicole Kosta and Barbara would all be stopped by Tiley. Markham takes a point with the shootout loss.

Game Two

Liz Knox and Elaine Chuli would take over the net-minding duties for the afternoon game in Thornhill. The Thunder got into penalty trouble early as Richards sat for boarding and Taylor Woods went off for slashing just over a minute later. The Furies were able to convert on the 5-on-3 advantage with Carlee Campbell scoring her first of the season assisted by Mellissa Channell. Sydney Kidd (tripping) would give Markham their first power play after a few remaining seconds of 4-on-4. Jones and Richards both had quality scoring chances before Jones went to the box for cross-checking. The penalty would be killed off, and Jenna McParland would send the puck just wide of Chuli before the end of the period.

The second opened with a Thunder power play as Julia Fedeski held King. McParland and Richards would just miss the net, but what happened a few minutes later was even more hair-raising. Chuli went out of her net to try and play the puck, but Markham was able to get to it first. Brown found herself alone in the slot, and went down on one knee to get the shot off. Chuli scrambled back, and as she lunged into the crease, the puck hit the side of her pad and stayed out. More chances came with big point blasts from Repaci, but the Furies would make it 2-0 off the stick of Stewart with helpers to Prevost and Mackenzie Macneil. Ella Matteucci took a slashing penalty, and Markham was able to escape unscathed. Richards flew into Toronto’s zone and McParland came down the wing, called for the puck, and rifled it into the net, cutting the Furies’ lead in half.

Another early power play came at the start of the third frame, as Shannon Moulson went off for hooking. Chuli robbed Jones of the tip, and then Brown was sent off for body contact. After killing it off, the Thunder kept putting on the pressure. Scoring chances came from McParland and Woods. After using the timeout before an O-zone faceoff with less than two minutes left in regulation, Jim Jackson put on the extra attacker. Chuli robbed McIntosh with a blocker save, and Prevost would pot the empty netter to give Toronto the 3-1 win.