Sweep For The Final Home-stand Of 2017

Two hard fought games grind out four points for the Thunder. It was Markham’s first time seeing Boston in action this year, and we won’t meet again until the final weekend of the regular season. A special thank you to ADT Canada for the thunder sticks, and to Steve and his daughter for dropping the puck!

Jess Bazal

Game One

Liz Knox and Lauren Dahm were called on to tend the nets. The first few minutes saw a fast play going both ways. Just before the halfway mark, the Thunder were awarded the first power play of the game as Meghan Grieves was called for cross checking. All shots were stopped by Dahm, and the Blades returned to full strength. Though the Thunder dictated most of the play, Knox needed to be sharp as Boston had good chances in close. Devon Skeats was flying and brought the puck into Boston’s crease, but the puck rolled right through the blue paint. The period ended in a scoreless deadlock.

Jess Bazal

The second period started all Markham. Ellie Seedhouse forced Dahm to make a save in tight, then Karolina Urban took a hard twister from the hash marks. Once again, Dahm was there. The Thunder kept the Blades’ goaltender busy in the period’s opening minutes as Nicole Brown and Jamie Lee Rattray each had prime scoring chances foiled by Dahm. Skeats was flagged for hooking, and the Blades received their first power play of the game. After a successful kill, Dania Simmonds got a shot off from the point, but Dahm made the blocker save. Markham went on the advantage as Michelle Ng sat for hooking, but nothing got into the net. A few minutes later, the Thunder returned to the power play when Melissa Bizzari took down Skeats with a hook. Once again the offence went to work, peppering Boston with shots. Taylor Woods made a great play, dancing at the blue line to keep the puck onside, but Markham could not convert. Near the end of the frame, Megan Delay was sent to the box for hooking. After 40 minutes there was still no score.

After killing off the remainder of Delay’s penalty to start the third, play continued to move north and south. Melissa Wronzberg has a good shot on Dahm, and Becca King came in for the rebound, but a Blades player went sliding into the net stopping play. Rattray broke into the zone a few minutes later, taking the puck forehand-backhand, but Dahm made the pad save. At 11:49 Seedhouse passed the puck over to Rattray, who took it from the middle of the ice, pulled it around the Blades player, and shot it top shelf over Dahm’s blocker to break the stalemate and give the Thunder a 1-0 lead. The lead did not last long, as Ng connected with Megan Meyers who put the shot on Knox. It looked like Knox had made the stop, but the puck trickled through to tie the game. The remaining one was not enough, and we headed to overtime.

The Thunder were getting chances, but just before the two minute marker, Urban was called for interference, giving the Blades the advantage. Luckily, Knox and the penalty kill units were up to the task, and the teams headed to the shootout.

Kate Leary shot first for Boston. She tried to deke Knox on the backhand, but she made the pad save!

Rattray was next for the Thunder, stick handling the puck, but Dahm made the save.

Grieves was up for the Blades. She tried to shoot the puck over Knox’s blocker side,  but missed.

Kristen Barbara went over the boards for Markham. She came in with speed and lobbed the puck last Dahm’s glove side with a quick wrister.

Meyers was now in a tough spot needing to score to keep the shootout going. Meyers took the puck wide trying to catch Knox going east-west through her crease, but Knox made an outstanding save securing the 2-1 win!

Game Two

Erica Howe got the start for Markham and Lauren Dahm started once again for Boston. The first five minutes of the game started the same as the night before, fast and physical. The Blades took the lead just over six minutes into the game. Unfortunately for them, Meaghan Spurling took a hooking penalty a minute later, sending the Thunder to the first power play of the afternoon. Brown cycled the puck up to Simmonds who passed it over to Barbara who shot the puck past Dahm to tie the game. Kristen Richards and Seedhouse both had good scoring chances, but the tie remained. Dahm was forced to make a tricky glove save when Skeats came into the zone with speed and shot a rolling puck. At the other end, Howe made a spectacular save on Ng as she came in alone. Dru Burns put the Blades back on the penalty kill for delay of game. Five seconds into the power play, Richards passed the puck up to Woods at the point who blasted the puck behind Dahm giving the Thunder the go-ahead goal. Markham ended the period on the penalty kill as Skeats sat for body checking.


Jess Bazal

The second frame saw the Thunder start with 1:44 on the penalty kill. Jordan Hampton tied the game less than a minute in thanks to Grieves and Bizzari. Boston continued to pressure Markham, with the physicality picking up as they crashed the net. Their momentum ended when Erin Kickham got two minutes for high sticking. Dahm had to lay down on the ice to keep the puck out of her net as the Thunder tried to get to the puck laying in the crease. With 11 seconds left in the power play, Urban was sent off for goalie interference, leading to short lived 4-on-4 and a Boston power play. Howe and the penalty killers kept the Blades at bay. Play continued back and forth, until Hartwick got a penalty for hooking. Less than a minute into the Boston power play, Leary was also sent off for hooking, ending the period with some 4-on-4 action.

With the third starting with more open ice, Seedhouse took a hard shot that Richards tipped in front, but Dahm was there to make the save. Hartwick returned to the ice, but the Thunder could not convert on their shortened power play. With almost eight minutes gone, Wronzberg sat for body checking. Thirteen seconds later, Lindsay Grigg was called for delay of game, and the Blades had a long 5-on-3. Howe made some great saves, at one point reaching back behind her to keep the puck out. After a successful kill, Burns was sent to the box for slashing. On the power play, Richards passed the puck to Rattray who got it up to Woods. She took a shot from the point and the puck tipped off of traffic in front and found its way behind Dahm. With the Thunder taking the 3-2 lead and the period winding down, Boston pulled their goalie for the extra attacker. Rattray corralled the puck and stakes it down into the empty net, and the Thunder won the game 4-2.