Back at Home, Markham Takes a Point

Another game against Montréal, another game that needed more than 60 minutes to crown a winner.

The game started with a special puck drop as Callie Bowman, representing You Can Play, Michael Blackburn, President of Pflag York Region, and Amanda Knegje, Vice President of Pflag York Region, stepped to centre ice. With Thunder Pride shirts in the stands, Pride Tape and rainbow laces on the ice, and the pride and transgender flags adorning the penalty boxes, the first #ThunderYCP game in Markham was underway!

Early in the period the Thunder went on the power play as Lavigne sat for interference. Though there were many great chances, nothing found the back of the net. Back to five-a-side, Jamie Lee Rattray passed it from before the Thunder blue line up to Laura McIntosh, who was waiting at Montréal’s, skated it in alone on Maschmeyer. With Cassandra Poudrier trying to catch her, McIntosh went backhand-forehand with the puck and through the five-hole with to give Markham the early lead! The Thunder continued to storm the Montréal zone with the forward line of King, Wronzberg, and Brown coming close to widening the lead. The penalty kill units hit the ice as Rattray sat for hooking with four minutes left in the period. Erica Howe and her teammates held the lead with some big saves and blocks to end the first 20 minutes.

Kristen Barbara started the second off with a bang as she put Markham up 2-0 after stealing the puck, getting it up to Rattray, receiving the puck back, and tapping in her own rebound off Maschmeyer. Les Canadiennes were then called for two penalties in quick succession – slashing and interference – but the Thunder couldn’t convert. Near the end of the second Montréal penalty, Rattray was sent off again for cross-checking and we had some 4-on-4 action. Once Montréal’s box was empty, Woods was cited for delay of game, putting the visitors on a 5-on-3. Les Canadiennes thought they had put a good goal past Howe, but the referee thought otherwise as the net came off its pegs. After the ensuing scrum, McIntosh and Deschênes both found their ways to their respective sin bins for roughing, giving a short 5-on-4 for les Canadiennes before Woods returned to the ice. When both teams were back at even-strength, Noemie Marin got Montréal on the board making it 2-1 with just over six minutes left in the frame. Within the final two minutes, Rattray blazed down the ice, took the puck around Desrochers, went backhand, forehand in close on Maschmeyer, who put out a poke check getting low early and made the pad save. Devon Skeats came in for the rebound, but she fell at the goal line and couldn’t get enough on the puck. Howe was once again busy at the end of the period making fantastic stops, including a brilliant one as Montréal had a 2-on-1 chance.

The third period started off with Barbara taking a high-sticking penalty.  After a successful kill, les Canadiennes stormed the net, with Marin and Clement-Heydra getting the puck over to Ann-Sophie Bettez, who was waiting at the side of the net to tie the game at two goals apiece. Ellie Seedhouse had a great chance when she was left alone in the slot after receiving the puck from the point. She took a shot up to the top corner above Maschmeyer’s glove, but the leather got there at the last second, keeping the puck out. With 7:50 gone in the period, Jessica Hartwick was sent off for body checking. Before the Thunder penalty was through, Emard went to les Canadiennes’ box for roughing, but the score remained the same. Wronzberg got a bouncing puck on net, and Maschmeyer had to make a difficult save with her toe to keep the score even. Once again, Montréal thought they got one behind Howe, but there was goalie interference on the play and Emard found herself sitting out again. Markham could not get the power play going, and we once again headed to extra time against les Canadiennes.

The five minute overtime period was fast, with both teams getting solid chances to end the game. Lindsay Grigg had some big shot blocks, and Howe made a solid blocker save followed by being in position for a sharp angle shot. As McIntosh was trying to exit the Thunder zone, her stick was lifted and she was sent to the ice. Les Canadiennes got the puck, but Taylor Woods got back to foil Poudrier’s chance by checking her stick from behind, a beautiful defensive play! Woods also blocked a hard pass from crossing the ice later in the overtime period.  Howe then showed off her own prowess as she flashed the glove on Marin knocking the puck down and covering it with 38 seconds remaining. The outstanding save forced a shootout – the first of the season for the Thunder.


McIntosh was first out for the Thunder. She attempted to go from her backhand to forehand and shoot the puck over the glove, but Maschmeyer was there.

Clement-Heydra was the first shooter for les Canadiennes. Howe made a brilliant stop stretching out her legs blocking the deke Clement-Heydra was trying to pull off.

Second shooter for Markham was Rattray. She stopped just before hitting the crease and tried to put a quick, hard wrister past the Montréal goaltender, but the save was made.  

Bettez was next for Montréal, and she shot the puck off the inside of the post and in, finding the back of the net.

Barbara was put in the do or die situation for the Thunder. She took the puck and got Maschmeyer going the wrong way, but tripped up at the end and couldn’t get the shot off.

Les Canadiennes took the game 3-2.